If you require legal, advocacy support click here.
A crucial component of our holistic model is that our support doesn’t stop when our advocacy and legal teams have helped young people stabilise their lives. Recognising that young people in difficulty face significant barriers to personal development, we seek to remove those barriers and support them in accessing education, training and employment. This empowers each young person to become independent, confident and able to reach their full potential.
The Youth Projects Team – what do we do?
Together, The Youth Projects Team works with young people aged 14-24 through regular one-to-ones, group work and online meetings. We support young people to achieve their full potential by addressing and removing barriers that they may face in their lives.
The Youth Projects Team mostly work with young people who have accessed our legal and advocacy services. Our support does not stop when our advocacy and legal teams have helped young people stabilise their lives.
We do this by offering opportunities such as:
- Consultations with young people
- Focus Groups on various topics that insight change
- Inviting young people to attend events and actively participate
- Include young people in the interview stage for potential employees
- Encouraging ex-clients to be part of our trustee board
- Creative mechanisms including podcast
- Participating on in-house and external work experience placements
We also promote and support the involvement with self, external or internally assisted social action projects.
As a team within Just for Kids Law we ensure and promote a youth centred approach to our work that champions young people involvement and active participation throughout the work we do.
The Youth Projects Team – who are we?
Our Youth Projects Team is made up of three different types of projects that work with young people aged 12-24 from all over London.
The three projects and workers titles are:
- Project: Youth Opportunities – Worker Title: Youth Opportunities Worker
- Project: The School Exclusion Project – Worker Title: Young People’s Development Worker for School Exclusions
- Project: Youth Engagement and Participation – Worker Title: Youth Engagement and Participation Manager
Youth Opportunities is education, training and employment support and it is offered to young people aged 14–24 at Just for Kids Law that are currently or who have previously accessed our legal and advocacy services or campaign work.
We understand that young people in difficulty face more barriers to education training and employment more than others. That is why our Youth Opportunities Worker empowers young people every step of the way.
They support with things like:
- Making a CV or completing job application forms
- Providing interview skills practice and other ‘job ready’ support including sourcing clothing for interviews
- Creating UCAS, college and course applications
- Provide a one-week internal work experience programme to build your confidence and CV
- Sourcing tutoring support or training opportunities
- Accompanying to important appointments, open days and job and apprenticeship fairs
- Working on time management, organisation skills and confidence
- Help to find and apply for grants
- Goal setting
- Encouraging new experiences like being on the other side of the interview panel for our internal recruitment or finding some social activities in your local area that can help you to thrive
The School Exclusion Project
Just for Kids Law has been providing direct legal support to children and young people at risk of school exclusion throughout London for many years but it was in 2018 that we developed a youth participation and social action element to the work of The Youth Projects Team that is now known as The School Exclusion Project.
The School Exclusion Project is open to anyone in London aged 14-24 that has had lived experience of any of the following:
- School Exclusion
- Managed Moved
- Long periods of suspension
The Young People’s Development Worker helps young people to engage with our policy and campaigning work internally and externally so that each young person on the project can understand and channel their experiences by being more vocal and visible about the issue of school exclusions.
As part of The School Exclusion Project, young people have:
- Featured in podcasts, reports, and national newspapers
- Written personal blogs
- Attended debates in parliament
- Created art pieces that are used in reports or to raise awareness
- Supported with outreach and awareness raising
- Received community journalism training
- Created speeches or spoken word to share their story publicly
- Created video diaries for events and awareness raising purposes
If you would like to get involved or refer yourself or a young person: CLICK HERE
Youth Engagement and Participation
Youth Engagement and Participation within the organisation is overseen by the Youth Engagement and Participation Manager who also manages The Youth Projects Team.
They encourage and champion youth participation throughout each project and support the team to do the same. They also ensure that regular participation trips are arranged as reward for the young people that get involved beyond the support that they receive at Just for Kids Law.
The Youth Engagement and Participation Manager also reaches out to previous or currently involved young people at Just for Kids Law for many things including:
- Consultations or feedback on experiences
- For insight or lived experience knowledge on topical issues
- To encourage and motivate young people to get involved in group work or individual work internally