This Step-by-Step Guide covers the process of getting the information that you need to from the young person, their family, parent or guardian to support them in challenging the exclusion.
The Steps in this Guide:
- Speaking to the person you are supporting to get details of the exclusion and other relevant circumstances;
- Asking the young person, their family or professional to keep you updated with relevant information;
- Identifying professionals to speak with for further information.
When to use this guide
No matter what stage of the process you are at it is always best to seek relevant information as early as possible. This will give you more time to get the right evidence and to act quickly in time for any hearing, or to find an alternative to the exclusion.
- If you want more information on the theory and practice that inform the steps in this guide read the Quick Guide: students and information rights
- For guidance on how to use a Step-by-Step Guide read the Introduction to the School Exclusions Hub.