Consider which relevant services the young person is involved with to identify the places you should be requesting information from.
If you consider a request to a particular organisation but are unsure whether they will hold relevant information, it will normally be best to make the request to be safe. This is because you may discover later that you need the records, but it may be too late at that point to make it in time for a hearing.
It will almost always be appropriate to make a request to the excluding school for a full file of records.
Consider making a request for records from any service involved with:
- The provision of education and educational support such as:
- Providers of alternative provision An education institution for students outside of mainstream and special schooling. Includes Pupil Referral Units and annexes to mainstream schools. ;
- Previous schools;
- The provision of pastoral, behavioural or welfare support such as:
- Social Services;
- Educational psychologists;
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (“CAMHS”) are NHS services that assess and treat young people with emotional, behavioural or mental health needs. ;
- Other relevant NHS programs or private health services, particularly as they relate to a diagnosis or support for mental and physical health needs;
- Services relating to childhood criminal exploitation The process of coercing, pressuring or manipulating young people into engaging in criminal activity, often as a means of labour for organised crime. Commonly, this is associated with “county lines” drug trafficking. ( CCE "Childhood Criminal Exploitation": the process of coercing, pressuring or manipulating young people into engaging in criminal activity. Commonly, this is associated with “county lines” drug trafficking. ) and childhood sexual exploitation ( CSE "Childhood Sexual Exploitation": the inducement of children to engage in sexual activity through coercion or manipulation. );
- Youth Offending Team records;
- Police records.
Once you have identified the relevant data-controllers, go to the next step.