We understand that these isolated times may be even more difficult for young people. We are still working to support children and young people via online platforms, calls, and post.
If you have immediate concerns for the safety of yourself or others call 999.
If you think a child or young person is at risk, being abused or neglected, contact the social care team at their local council.
If you are a child or young person and you need help, call ChildLine on 0800 11 11.
Advice for young people in lockdown
First things first, you are not alone. Try to remember that this will not last forever.
Here are some suggestions from the team:
- Look after yourself.
- Try to keep a routine of getting up out of bed and getting dressed. If you can’t get fully dressed, brush your hair or have a shower. Some days these tasks will be easier than others.
- Call or text a friend - use the Houseparty App to play games.
- Do a TikTok challenge.
- Read a book.
- Get some fresh air - walk to your friends, bring a ball to the park, cycle... just try and get out every now and then.
- Create a playlist of all your favourite songs and play them each day.
- Journal your thoughts.
- Clean your room.
- Do an online workout - we think that Joe Wicks has a great channel including a live session each morning at 9am!
- Make a meal from scratch.
- Try to have conversations and watch videos and content online that make you happy and block accounts and people that are sharing too much negative news.
Resources for young people
- Children’s Commissioner: Children’s guide to coronavirus
- NSPCC: Resources for children and young people
- The Mix: Understanding Coronavirus
- The Mix: Coronavirus: Health advice you can trust
- CAMHS: Mental Health and Wellbeing Apps
- National Youth Agency: Reacting to Covid-19
- One Pump Court: Covid-19 Legal Mythbuster
- Money Saving Expert: 15 free ways to relax, feel good & look after yourself during lockdown
- The I: The 30 best free online courses for coronavirus lockdown, from Joe Wicks workouts to history of art courses
- Class Central: Free online courses
- NHS: Help for Suicidal Thoughts