The Youth Justice Legal Centre, part of Just for Kids Law, has announced the date and keynote speakers for its upcoming Youth Justice Summit, which will focus on the theme of “Children in the Criminal Courts”. Now in its third year, the annual Youth Justice Summit brings together professionals from across the youth justice sector to raise standards in youth justice advocacy, improve the status of this area of work and to support a growing community of specialist youth justice lawyers. The Summit will take place on 17 May 2019, and is being organised in association with The Dickson Poon School of Law at Kings College London.
The keynote speakers for the summit have been announced today; they are:
- Professor Sarah-Jayne Blakemore, leading cognitive neuroscientist;
- Professor David Ormerod, Criminal Law Commissioner; and
- Max Hill QC, Director of Public Prosecutions.
The Summit will feature sessions on a diverse range of topics, including child and adolescent brain development; child terrorist: an oxymoron; children in adult courts: facilitating effective participation; reducing custodial remand of children; the impact of turning 18 in the criminal justice system; psychologist or psychiatrist: instructing the right expert and understanding the welfare principle in criminal cases.
Tickets for the Summit can now be booked online at https://yjlc.uk/product/youth-justice-summit-2019-children-in-the-criminal-courts/
Kate Aubrey-Johnson, YJLC director and barrister, says:
“We are delighted to be able to announce the Youth Justice Summit 2019. There is currently no requirement for lawyers representing children to have undertaken mandatory training, as a result this area of work lacks the recognition and status it deserves. This event will allow practitioners to share their expertise and knowledge, and be part of a movement towards raising standards in youth justice work. We think every child deserves the best possible legal representation.”
Notes to editors:
- The Youth Justice Legal Centre (YJLC) has been set up by the charity Just for Kids Law to provide legally accurate information, guidance and training on youth justice law. YJLC provides legal overviews, specialist training, a discussion forum and expert advice for barristers, solicitors and legal executives representing children in the youth justice system.
- Just for Kids Law is a UK charity that works with and for children and young people to hold those with power to account and fight for wider reform by providing legal representation and advice, direct advocacy and support, and campaigning to ensure children and young people in the UK have their legal rights and entitlements respected and promoted and their voices heard and valued.
- The 2019 Youth Justice Summit will take place on 17 May 2019 at the Aldwych campus of Kings College London.