We are recruiting for two Youth Advocates to join our Youth Advocacy Team.
Contract term: 12 month fixed-term contract (with possibility of extension)
Location: Central London
Hours: Full time (35 hours per week)
Salary: ££28,700 - £32,800 (dependent on experience in directly equivalent role)
Probation period: 3 months
- 38 days annual leave (27 flexible days, plus 3 days Christmas Shutdown (for 1 FTE), plus all bank holidays)
- Flexible working & TOIL Scheme, Hybrid Working (60% in office)
- Workplace Pension plan: 5% per matching following probation. 4% matching during probation
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan and cycle-to-work schemes
The role of the Youth Advocate is to provide high quality, holistic advocacy support, amplifying the voice of children and young people in challenging situations and supporting them to communicate their wishes and feelings to professionals in their lives and to have these taken seriously.
Youth Advocates also provide accurate information, including access to specialist support, to enable young people to make informed decisions within and outside of Just for Kids Law. The advocate does this by working relationally with young people, being a positive, reliable and boundaried professional, providing pastoral support where needed, and supporting children and young people to develop skills and confidence to advocate for themselves.
- Respectful of young people and able to champion effectively for their rights with a strong commitment to the principles and practice of advocacy and an understanding of relevant legislation
- Ability to develop relationships with and relate to a diverse range of young people
- Understanding of challenges young people can experience when interacting with services
- Experience of providing information and advice, advocacy or other relevant assistance to a vulnerable client group
- Resilient, emotionally intelligent individual who understands the demands of frontline work with complex young people and upholds clear professional boundaries.
- Flexible thinker who is able to respond in a positive and composed manner to unexpected changes in a young person’s case at short notice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
We are a dynamic charity working with and for children and young people to hold those with power to account and fight for wider reform. We do this by providing legal representation and advice, direct advocacy and support, and through strategic litigation, campaigning and equipping others to work for children’s rights.
Just for Kids Law believes in the value of a diverse workforce and encourages applications from people from all ethnic, cultural, religious, and social backgrounds: in particular, people from BAME, LGBTQI+ communities. We strive to create a diverse working environment where anyone, regardless of background, can thrive.
How to Apply
If you believe you could be the right person for this role, we would love to hear from you!
If you would prefer, you can return a completed application and equal opportunities form to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. CVs will not be accepted.
The deadline for all applications is 11.59pm on Sunday 10th July 2022.
Interviews will be held in person at our offices Tuesday 19th & Wednesday 20th July 2022.
If you have not heard from us by 18th July 2022, you have not been selected for interview. Unfortunately, we cannot give updates & feedback for unsuccessful applicants.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. If you are shortlisted, and have any particular access or other requirements, please contact Julie Bentley, Director of Finance and Resources, who will be pleased to discuss this with you.